Biral BTD-300 Thunderstorm Detector
The BTD-300 Thunderstorm Detector is a standalone sensor that reliably detects the presence of all forms of lightning to a range of 83 km. The unique quasi electrostatic operating principle gives the detector a very low false alarm rate and the ability to warn of the risk of overhead lightning.
The ability to reliably detect and range cloud-to-cloud lightning, which is typically much more common than cloud-to-ground strikes, makes the BTD-300 much more sensitive to the presence of storms compared to devices that rely on radio detection. The electrostatic operating principle allows the sensor to warn of the risk of overhead lightning before the first discharge occurs.
Virtually maintenance free in operation, the BTD-300 can either interface directly to an integrated system or be operated using the supplied PC compatible display and logging software. The optional warning relay module allows the sensor to automatically sound alarms whenever a storm approaches.
• Detects cloud-to-cloud and cloud-to-ground lightning
• 83 km detection range
• Warns of overhead lightning risk
• Meets Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) performance requirements for aerodrome use
• Optional direction finder
• Highly immune to radio interference
• Very low maintenance requirements