NIWA High Intensity Rainfall Design System
• A simple online tool that can estimate rainfall frequency at any point in New Zealand.
• NIWA High Intensity Rainfall Design System can be used to estimate rainfall depths for hydrological design purposes, and to assess the rarity of observed storm events.
• Users can enter a street address, or click a location on a map, and HIRDS provides storm rainfall depths for durations from 10 minutes to 72 hours, for once-a-year storms, or one-in-100-years, and every contingency in between.
• A table appears on the screen with a series of depth, duration, and frequency statistics for rainfalls in minutes and hours.
• New features included in Version 3 of HIRDS are an updated database from New Zealand sites for durations of 10minutes to 72 hours, enhancements to the method of regional frequency analysis of high intensity rainfalls, extreme rainfall assessments for given climate change temperature scenarios and option to generate HIRDS tables either as rainfall depths or as rainfall intensities.